6 TIPS FOR YOUTH ATHLETES STARTING TO INCORPORATE GYM TRAINING INTO THEIR PROGRAM
The gym can be an intimidating environment for youth who do not know what they are doing. It’s important to learn the ropes before doing any training yourself. This will help to build confidence and teach you about proper gym etiquette and lifting technique to ensure safe and effective training.
In the meantime, here are a few quick tips for newbies to get you started:
1. Don’t get hung up on how much weight you’re lifting. Instead, focus on nailing your technique and earn the right to progress.
2. Focus on training fundamental movements e.g. hinge, push, pull, brace, carry, jump (landing), sprints. Keep exercise selection small and master the basics.
3. Don’t feel like you need to be constantly changing exercises each week/month. Make small changes here and there as you progress, but give your body time to learn and adapt to the program in front of you.
4. Don’t neglect mobility. Make sure your joints have the required range of motion to perform an exercise. If not, adjust the exercise and work on your mobility.
5. Put plenty of time into training the muscles you can’t see in the mirror; e.g. upper back, glutes and hamstrings.
6. Ask for help! I am always more than happy to answer any questions you might have.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR